RISING OUT OF THE SHADOWS (ROOTS)
ROOTS seeks an additional Americorps Volunteer for the 2014-2015 term, which will extend through 7/15/15.
This is a national service volunteer position that provides a stipend and an education award at the end of the term. This position is age-restricted, and is only open to individuals who were born between August 31, 1988 and August 31, 2006.
The AmeriCorps member will assist with evening shelter responsibilities, including completing intake interviews with guests, supporting the Program Coordinator by enforcing rules and providing guidance to volunteers, interacting with guests and offering information and referrals to other service programs, and helping ensure that shelter runs smoothly. They will work with our Guest Leadership Program to support the team and individuals as they work to improve their life skills, education and employment opportunities. The member will assist with recruiting new volunteers and volunteer recognition and acknowledgement in conjunction with the Volunteer Manager. The member will also be active in outreach and advocacy efforts, such as recruitment, fairs and other events, and in strengthening partnerships with other agencies and alliances, such as the University District Service Provider Alliance (UDSPA), Seattle King County Coalition on Homelessness (SKCCH), colleges and community groups.
Member Duties : Participate in monthly Feedback Sessions with shelter guests. Support guests in reports back to the Program Committee and shelter team. This includes facilitating guest surveys to assure program quality. Recruit, support and provide employment, education and housing resources to our Leadership Team. Support Leadership members in identifying goals specific to their terms. Identify and locate resources for guests, and maintain a job/housing/resource board. Develop partnerships to enhance the Leadership Program around job opportunities, service referrals, and opportunities for skill development. Assist in drives for toiletries, clothing, and other donated supplies. Help with volunteer, Work Study and intern recruitment, including event tabling and other community outreach. Provide shelter support three nights weekly, with a focus on interfacing with guests in the Leadership Program and implementing service quality upgrades as recommended by the Feedback and Program Committees.
To apply – please visit the Americorps website at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=50145&fromSearch=true
RISING OUT OF THE SHADOWS (ROOTS)
JOB TITLE: Overnight Counselor
REPORTS TO: ROOTS Shelter Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: The ROOTS Young Adult Shelter in the U-District is seeking staff for one overnight position with shifts from 10:45pm to 8:15am (9:15am on Saturday mornings). This is a paid position. We prefer candidates already working in the youth services field. These shifts would be three or four days of the week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete shelter, demographic and other documentation for reporting requirements
- Help supervise and enforce program guidelines, hand out supplies, interact and build positive relationships with guests.
- Be familiar with shelter policies and practices and written records required by ROOTS and its contracting partners.
- Must remain awake during entire shift.
- Maintain safety and security by monitoring all general access areas and enforcing project rules.
- Solicit donations for hygiene and other shelter support related items
- Conduct walks around shelter to check on each guest in conjunction with the overnight team.
- Intervene in crises, respond to emergencies, and initiate action as required, including contact with emergency response systems and ROOTS staff.
- Post and/or prepare food for meals.
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attend The Ropes training, Conflict De-escalation, Safe Harbors, and ROOTS Volunteer Orientation.
- Complete application and criminal background check.
- Minimum of two years experience in service provision to youth or young adults (or equivalent), preference given to candidates with demonstrated skill among those impacted by homelessness and oppression.
- Post-secondary education preferred but not required.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively in a volunteer-driven, harm reduction oriented service organization.
- Highly developed communication skills: ability to communicate the written and spoken word clearly and effectively; ability to communicate to a wide variety of people with ease.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Solid understanding of issues related to poverty and homelessness.
This is an hourly position and is usually scheduled for approximately 35-40 hours/week. Hourly wage starts at $11.50. Benefits include health and dental coverage and paid time off.
Position available 10/1/14 – open until filled
Send cover letter and resume to:
No Phone Calls
ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. LGBTQ, persons of color, and bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.