JOB TITLE: Overnight On-Call Staff
REPORTS TO: ROOTS Volunteer Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: The ROOTS Young Adult Shelter in the U-District is seeking staff available for on-call shifts from 8pm to 8:30am. This is a paid position ($9.32 hour) that includes sleeping on-site. We prefer candidates already working in the youth services field who can respond to same-evening phone calls. These shifts could be any day of the week from 8:00pm – 8:30am.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with set up and clean up shelter areas, help to supervise and enforce program guidelines, hand out supplies, interact and build positive relationships with guests.
- Do an ‘awake shift’ of 1.5 to 2.5 hours during the night.
- Be familiar with shelter policies and practices and written records required by ROOTS and its contracting partners.
- Reply to requests of need, even if unable to come in for shift.
- Other duties as assigned by the Volunteer Manager and Executive Director.
- Attend The Ropes training, Conflict De-escalation and ROOTS volunteer orientation
- Complete application and background check
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must demonstrate ability to work effectively in a volunteer-driven, harm reduction oriented service organization.
- Must have highly developed communication skills: ability to communicate the written and spoken word clearly and effectively; ability to communicate to a wide variety of people with ease.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Solid understanding of issues related to poverty and homelessness.
- Minimum of two years experience in service provision to youth or young adults, preference given to candidates with demonstrated skill among those impacted by homelessness and oppression
This is an on-call hourly position, called in as needs arise at shelter. Hourly wage starts at $9.19.
Open until filled
Send cover letter and resume to:
Leah Gustitus, ROOTS Volunteer Manager
ROOTS Young Adult Shelter
1415 NE 43rd Street, Seattle, WA 98105
or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. LGBTQ, persons of color, and bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.