Socks ‘n Salsa
SO MANY SOCKS!
Meet Lewis Alexander. For the past six years, Lewis has hosted a sock-drive in remembrance of his cousin, Justin Schwartz, who used to stay here at ROOTS. It’s a genuinely moving gesture, and awe-inspiring that he and his colleagues keep making this
gargantuan effort on our behalf. It is a huge help to us because it ensures all of our guests have constant access to clean and dry footwear (crucial during these cold wet months in Seattle).
This year’s stunning sock donation from Lewis totaled more than $6,500 in value. At a maximum of 45 guests a night that ROOTS can potentially shelter, why would it be important to collect so much? The answer is simple. Each morning and night in shelter ROOTS hands out socks, gloves, and hygiene products to ensure our guests have some of what they need during their days outside. Because these items go so fast, and because guest turnover is so constant, we can never receive enough and we are always in need of more to be donated.
Thanks again to Lewis, and thank you to everyone that makes a cash or item donation to ROOTS. It keeps ROOTS in operation.
To support ROOTS’ ongoing program to procure much-needed items for our guests, click here to check out our current Wish List.
Announcing an exciting new fundraiser hosted by our friends at Chipotle.
On Thursday, April 20, the following Chipotle locations will ALL host a fundraiser whereby 50% of sales are donated directly back to ROOTS. The only requirement is that you say "ROOTS” as you make your purchase.
Participating stores include:
South Lake Union
Other area stores including Bellevue, Redmond, Lynnwood, and South Center are not official participants but WILL honor the fundraiser if ROOTS is mentioned.
How can you help?
- Tell everyone!
- Email your contacts list (just drop the flyer from this newsletter into it and press send)
- Share on your social media
- Grab leaflets and posters (available here from the ROOTS office) and post them in your local library or favorite coffee shop
- Join the Chipotle/ROOTS event by clicking here and then invite your friends.
- Participate yourself. No, Chipotle is not owned by McDonalds, and yes it does have a number of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options available to those of you who require it. Be sure to pass the message on while you’re standing in line – it takes less than a second to say “ROOTS” when you’re buying that beautiful burrito.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
May 10, 2017 marks the return of Seattle Foundation's GiveBIG. Now in its 7th year, this one-day, online charitable giving event, is a rallying cry to raise money for our region's hard-working nonprofits.
In 2016, ROOTS’ supporters came together on GiveBIG day to raise more than $31,000 in support of the young individuals that we serve every night. Mark your calendars and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for special updates.