- You must be 18 years of age for all in shelter positions except breakfast cook and dinner prep crew, which allows minors with adult supervision.
- We ask a monthly time commitment based on the position volunteers sign up for in shelter. These include:
- Evening and Morning Volunteers: 4 shifts a month for 6 months
- Overnight Volunteers: 2 shifts a month for 6 months
- Dinner Meal Teams can sign up as one time volunteers as part of a group OR 2 shifts a month for 3 months.
- Breakfast Meal Team: 1 shift a month for a year
- All volunteers must attend the ‘The Ropes’ Training within their first month of volunteering. Trainings are offered every 2nd Wednesday of the month 6pm-9pm. For more information email: email@example.com.
- All in-shelter volunteers must attend the Conflict De-escalation training (offered 1st Monday and 3rd Thursday of each month 5pm-8pm). Overnight volunteers must complete the training before their second overnight. All other volunteers must complete it within their first month of volunteering. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All in-shelter volunteers must attend the Race: The Power of an Illusion training (offered quarterly). Email email@example.com to learn about upcoming training dates.
Shelter Volunteer Positions:
EVENING VOLUNTEER (8pm-11pm; any day of the week)
Volunteers work as part of a team (including evening and overnight volunteers) to help set up shelter, engage with guests, complete intake paperwork for new guests, hand out hygiene supplies, enforce program rules and help ensure the emotional and physical safety of the space. Volunteers participate in a shelter team opening meeting and a post-shelter debrief meeting each shift. Volunteers are supported each night in shelter by a volunteer Evening Supervisor and the Program Coordinator.
DINNER MEAL TEAMS (Sun – Thurs 7:30pm-10:30pm; Fri/Sat 8pm-10:30pm)
Volunteers work in a team of 3-5 people to prepare dinner, serve dinner and clean up the kitchen. Volunteers are encouraged to bring food with them they are interested in cooking. We ask that at least one person from the team has attended volunteer orientation and can act as a contact person for the group. This is a great way to bring along friends, co-workers and family to volunteer alongside you! Dinner Prep Crews are supported by a Dinner Prep Crew Lead (veteran ROOTS volunteer who is an evening volunteer that same day).
OVERNIGHT VOLUNTEER(8pm-8:30am Sat-Thurs; 8pm-9:30am Fri)
Volunteers do similar roles as the evening volunteers before lights out in shelter (10:30pm). After lights out volunteers rotate through having a 2 hour ‘awake’ shift where they are responsible for helping to monitor the space, doing walk throughs of the room every 10 minutes, being available if guests need emergency assistance, and completing guest laundry. There are 4 overnight volunteers (including one or two overnight supervisors) and 1 overnight counselor (paid staff) who is the second person awake all night. Volunteers can sleep the other 6 hours of lights off (10:30pm-7am Sat-Thurs; 10:30pm-7:30am Fri) when they are not on their awake shift. Mats and bedding are provided. Overnight volunteers are supported by the volunteer Overnight Supervisor(s) and the Overnight Counselor. During the evening the Program Coordinator is also available for support on-site and is available for support in an on-call capacity during the overnight shift.
BREAKFAST CREW (6:15-8:30am Sun-Fri; 6:45-9:00am Sat)
Volunteers work as a team of 3-4 breakfast crew volunteers to help prepare a simple hot breakfast, serve food to guests, and clean up the kitchen. Volunteers typically bring food they are cooking that morning. Some non-perishable supplies are available at ROOTS. We ask that at least one person from the breakfast crew has attended volunteer orientation and filled out an application.
MORNING FLOOR (6:45am-8:30am Sun-Fri; 7:15am-9:30am Sat)
Volunteers work as part of a team (including overnight volunteers and morning floor volunteers) to engage with guests, hand out hygiene supplies, help clean up shelter, enforce program rules and help ensure the emotional and physical safety of the space. Guests are required to leave shelter by 8am Sun-Fri and 9am Sat. For 30 minutes after guests leave, volunteers help restock hygiene supplies, prepare bedding for the next night, start any remaining shelter laundry and clean up the shelter space. Morning volunteers are supported by the Overnight Supervisor(s). Management and Program Coordinators are available for support in an on-call capacity.
Friday Feast Volunteering
FRIDAY FEAST (Fridays; flexible hours 1pm-8pm)
All-ages meal program serving a hot dinner to approximately 100-150 people. Volunteers help with meal preparation between 1-5PM, serve dinner from 5:30-7PM, and clean up until 8PM. Volunteers under 18 may participate with adult supervision. If you are interested in bringing a group of volunteers please call us and we will work with you to schedule that.
Out of Program Volunteering
ADMINISTRATIVE VOLUNTEER (flexible hours)
Volunteers assist Executive and Program Directors with assorted administrative support tasks including collating applications and training materials, upkeep of supply storage areas, copying, filing, mailings, etc.
GROUP VOLUNTEER PROJECTS (flexible)
Gather a group of people together and set up a time to come in and help with housekeeping around shelter. Tasks include: organizing clothing closet, sanitizing mats, cleaning and organizing the kitchen, sorting donations, and assembling bulk mailings. Volunteers under 18 may participate with adult supervision.